Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Lesson 1

Lesson 1

Objective: Good readers know what they are interested in so they can choose books that are interesting to them.

Procedure:
Interest inventory
Student will read choice book
If time, student will retell the story
If time, quick write about text


During this lesson I gave my student an interest inventory to find out how she feels about reading and what she likes to read. My student really enjoys reading.  It was obvious by her attitude towards the interest inventory and the questions I had for her.  She said she owns about 50 books and would really like to own the Harry Potter series as well as The Hunger Games series.  The topics she enjoys reading about: travel, sports, detective stories, poetry, biographies, art, and how-to-do books.  She even enjoys reading the newspaper and spends time reading the entertainment, headlines, and sports sections.  My student enjoys watching Nick and spends about an hour a day doing so.  She also enjoys magazines.  Playing sports and doing art are two of her favorite hobbies and the two best movies she has ever seen are The Hunger Games and Radio.  She describes reading as fun and also says "IT'S AWESOME!"

Reflection on self: Even though I know my student from my intermediate practicum placement, I got to know her even better in this first meeting.  I found out things about her that I didn't know and it will help me relate to her and help her pick books she is interested in.  I thought this first meeting was very valuable and I am excited to work with her.
Reflection on student: My student is very interested in reading and that makes meeting with her much more fun and enjoyable.  She is a fluent reader and does a great job of pausing at commas and using expression when there is dialogue.  I am very excited to work with her over the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment