Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Lesson 4

Lesson 4

Objectives:
Good readers learn and recognize word patterns while writing such as suffixes.
Good readers can show comprehension of a text by retelling what they have read in their own words.
Good readers can read fluently with expression, pronunciation, good speed, few mistakes, etc.

Procedures:
Student will complete a suffixes word sort with the suffixes -ly, -ful, -ness, and -less.  Student struggles with spelling of harder suffixes words and this will give them a good chance to practice sorting them by their spelling and their sounds.

Student will read while I am doing a running record for their fluency.  They will be practicing pronunciation and trying to get as few mistakes as possible. 

Student will read a free reading book to me and show that they comprehend it by retelling the story to me in their own words.  I will explain what retelling is beforehand.  I will encourage the student to ask me any questions she has over the text as well as me asking them questions.


Reflection on student:
Student did a great job on the word sort and sorted them all perfectly.  I had her read all of the words too and she knew all of them.  Student also did a great job on the running record.  This running record was a higher difficulty than the last one and it was a bit longer too.  I chose a passage over the Civil War because that is what they are doing in their classroom in social studies.  She had 4 errors out of 244 words.  Her error ratio was 1 : 64, which was an accuracy of 98%.  She self corrected 4 words and has a self-correction rate of 1 : 2.3.  She also did a great job of retelling the story she read to me.  She gave lots of detail of what happened as well as about the characters.

Reflection on self:
The more I meet with the student, the more comfortable I am.  She doesn't really like doing some of the "tests" I give her so I try to make them more fun by picking topics that she likes.  She was really excited to do the running record over the Civil War because it related to school.  She was able to retell the story very well after I explained what retelling meant.  She said they have practiced that in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment